15 Jun 2018

No one will die for you and no one should tell you how to live. Once upon a time on Cyprus part 2.

It's almost 4am and I can't shut my brain off. My eyes are not a problem here. I have been closing them milion times already, but nothing helps. My brain just doesn't want to sleep. In this case I decided to write a post, go back to my life on Cyprus. Already I am truly apologizing for all the mistakes I will make and I am sure there will be more than few.

So here I am. 18 years old (nearly 19) girl, who just quit from her university to start a completely new life, new adventures, new everything. How exciting, isn't it? 
What I remember from my first few days it's complete disorientation. I haven't had a clue what was going on. 
I think I had like 2 weeks of holidays before I started working, because they had to deal with all the papers and it's been taking like for eveer. I am not joking. But I had some time to get some color, get around the island, or at least the closest area and, well, some tan. Trust me, as a Polish person I've been pale like a snow. And you don't need that kind of negativity when moving to Cyprus.

Ow there is also one more thing I remember. I got to Paphos, the town that in a short time would become my home for next 9 months, and I have been looking for my apartment called Anthousa (I had a small paper with and adres, nothings else). After hours of walking (as it seemed for me back then) in 40 degrees heat, I stood next to some apartments completely exhausted almost giving up on finding mine and preparing myself to sleep on the street surrounded by milion cats and decided to....listen listen….ask for help. Daaamn ! Yes, me, Natalia the woman who never asks, made her mind and went to few woman standing in front of the gate and asked "I am sorry but is it possible that you might know how could I get to Anthousa?". They looked at me in kind of weird way let's say, turned around and showed me the building just behind them saying "emmmm...that's here". OK guys! Not my fault that all the buildings looked the same and probably I have passed that one 20 times, but. I found it. That's the point. Ok ? And that's how my first day looked like. Exhausting. But wait wait wait. I am not done here. I got to my amazing room with huge terrace, 2 beds, kitchen, bathroom and all beautifully prepared and...I took a shower, changed and went for even longer walk to discover what was around me. And trust me, it was amazing, beautiful, breath-taking. I was starting to fall in love with the island and I kept falling in love with it every single day.

I started my work as an entertainer, my first boss was a total bitch who didn't like to work nor cared about people, but my team was pretty awesome and we were sticking together with almost everything (not if it's about kids club and staying there with kids, because trust me, I didn't want to be seen over there. Nah. One kid and Natalia was gone. No excuses. I've got nothing to say in my defence. I just wasn't happy there). But all the rest? We were THE team. We were great. Lucky for as that at the end of the season we got sent a new boss, who was like an Angel comparing to the first one. Thank you for that.

And I have to tell you all them 9 months on the island were amazing. (it's like being pregnant with Cyprus haha). All the people I have met, all the parties I attended, all the mistakes I made and all the decisions I took were worth everything. Yes, all the mistakes. And I know I made loads of them on my first season of entertainment. Come on ! I was 18/19 years old girl starting her life all over again! I have been allowed to make mistakes and stupid things! Hey! Bad decisions make good stories! And trust me if I say so. I know more than you think about it.


Stealing a stool from the bar street? Coming back home at 8am and starting job at 9am? Finding a drunk English guy on my balcony and the next day a cat in my bed? Adopting a sick Reggae dog for couple of days and seeing him and the most ugly beautiful thing? Experiencing new things for the first time and being there for your best of the best friends when she did too? Meeting my sister from another mister and adopting her? Swimming in the see at 4 in the morning and coming back on the bikes with your bras hanging from and drying on the air when greeting a stranger who decided to go for a jogging at that time? Screaming at your Romanian neighbour, because she was just so stupid? Stealing WiFi from other neighbours, because why not? Hiding in the office, because you just couldn't handle some guests in the hotel and you were just over everything? Getting this first tattoo done and then doing aquagym in the 45 degrees heat? Doing table tennis activity completely hangover and then almost passing out on aquagym, because you just drunk too much the night before? Ow and celebrating your fake birthday with 23 shots of tequila? 

Been there done that! (And that's just a bottom of the mountain we have built.)

And yes, I do regret few things I've done on the island and I should be sorry for doing the others...but I am so not! I wouldn't change it for anything, because those are the things you could, but shouldn't tell your grandchildren. But they will stay with me forever and they made me who I am now and no, if I could go back and change something I wouldn't. Why should I? Something made me do what I have done back then and that's alright. I am happy. I was happy back then, on the magical island, in the magical town called Paphos. And I would love to go back there one day and see how it would look for me right now. After years of experience, after getting older, after living a bit more.

And that is what I want you to learn from that story.

LIVE YOUR LIFE. 
No matter what. No matter what other people might or might not think or do. It's your life and no one will die for you so no one should ever tell you how to live it! 

4 comments:

  1. Love Cyprus Nati. Neat too on how you noted having insomnia via Google Plus; when I was in Cyprus I had crazy insomnia for almost a month. When we arrived there I had jet lag, coming from NYC. We loved seeing all those kitties although felt sad seeing 'em on the street. Twas nice to see locals feeding them. Paphos is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to know that cats don't belong to Cyprus.
      Cyprus belongs to them ;) So they might be "homeless", but they're being taken care of by all the people coming to the Island and even those who live there ;)
      Paphos is truly magical, I agree.
      Take care.
      Nati.

      Delete
  2. Hello again! I enjoy the stories about spontaneous longer journeys or moving to different country. How the author got there, what were the experiences, people you met there... That reminds me studies with unplanned Erasmus or going for AIESEC voluntary the very next day after approvement :) It's true that we can't plan the best moments ;) I would like to read some more articles of yours about the Cyprus and expreriences there! It's beautiful diverse country (influence of Greeks and Turks) and there's surely much to see :) Pretty much looking forward for next entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly love your comments. And yes that is so true. Travels make us richer in so many ways :)
      Have you got your onw blog? I would like to read something of yours.

      Thank you for your visits and I am glad you're enjoying my entries.

      xo
      Nati

      Delete